About the job Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Backend Engineer
New York, NY
Our Client is re-imagining the trillion-dollar U.S. B2B card payments infrastructure, with a focus on the countrys 500,000 commercial fleets, 40 million commercial vehicles, and many million commercial drivers. The incumbent technologies that cater to these customers are decades old, and drivers, fleets, and the merchants that serve them all increasingly demand modern digital experiences and affordable and transparent financial services products. Their mission is to deliver them at a transformational scale, and to improve working lives in one of the countrys biggest industry sectors. The company is backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds.
They are competing and winning with software, and they are building a world-class engineering team. They are looking for front-end, full-stack, backend, and platform engineers. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground level early on, contribute and learn in myriad ways, make key decisions, expand your impact as the business grows, have fun, and learn a ton in the process. If you're practical and business-minded, smart and creative, and excited about the rewards and the energy of an early-stage venture-backed startup, they'd love to hear from you.
They believe in re-using existing tools as much as possible so that they can focus on building products for clients. At the same time they do not hesitate to roll up their sleeves and build their own if needed. Since they benefit from Open Source Software so much they try to contribute back.
In order to maximize the velocity of their product engineering, they are hiring in NYC and the tri-state area only. Their office is located in the heart of Manhattans NoHo neighborhood, benefiting from its vibrant creative energy.
After joining heres how your first few months will look:
- Week 1:
- Get a buddy to help with onboarding on Day 1
- Get end-to-end tests passing locally in your environment on Day 2
- Get your first story merged by the end of the week after passing automated checks and peer review
- Start 1x1s with your manager
- Month 1:
- Ship a feature to production
- Contribute to planning, retrospectives, code reviews
- Write your first design document for a major feature
- Month 2:
- Start interviewing potential new hires
- Do your first dev talk
- Establish your development goals with your manager
The Senior Backend Engineer is responsible for designing and building the distributed scalable server-side ecosystem to enable rapid delivery of features to clients at scale. They move fast, and your job will be to make the right trade-offs at the right time to be able to evolve their server-side ecosystem over time. The resulting designs will enable multiple teams to move rapidly and independently, They iterate quickly, prioritize learning from their clients, build quality in, and remain ruthlessly pragmatic.
The Senior Backend Engineer will:
- build product features end-to-end, from web UI to distributed services back end;
- help shape the initial engineering culture of the company;
- have a voice in early technology and implementation choices;
- guide product engineering teams in their choice of server-side technologies, patterns, and products to find the right tradeoffs between time to market, and scalability, resiliency, evolvability, and security;
- challenge the team to automate, improve process, simplify, raise the bar for quality.
The Senior Backend Engineer must:
- have 6-10+ years experience working with first-class engineering teams with a proven track record frequent delivery of quality software to production;
- have substantial experience with server-side language ecosystems (Python, Java, Kotlin, Golang, Scala);
- demonstrated experience of using Domain Driven Design (DDD) to manage complexity and scale systems across multiple teams;
- deep experience with tuning and scaling relational and non-relational storage in the cloud;
- experience with distributed caching, in-memory grids, search engines;
- distributed locking, concurrency, data- and task-parallelism, consensus algorithms;
- messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, NATS.io);
- deep expertise in API security, authorization, identity management, authentication;
- demonstrate a pragmatic take on microservices, CQRS, event sourcing, immutable architecture, modular monoliths;
- have extensive experience working in cross-functional agile teams in collaboration with product and design;
- be pragmatic and get stuff done;
- be passionate about building amazing products for customers;
- be able to work independently with little oversight or management in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with high-energy and mission-driven colleagues.
About Our Client
A leading payments and credit technology firm backed by some of the worlds top VCs which was acquired for $500MM+ in 2020.
They recently raised $27.5M in a Series A financing co-led by Accel and Insight Partners. They're also backed by top fintech and mobility venture funds including Better Tomorrow Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, BoxGroup, Foundation Capital, Greycroft, and Colle and premier angel investors including Max Levchin (Affirm), Josh Abramowitz (Bread), Jason Gardner (Marqeta), William Hockey (Plaid), Ryan Petersen (Flexport), and many others.
They are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. They are building a diverse and inclusive environment, so they encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Theyre an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Register Your Details
At Carter Wellington, we are always looking for bright minds and enthusiastic people from diverse backgrounds, who are looking to advance in their career.
Even if you don’t find a suitable position among our current assignments, please do not hesitate to drop us your resume.