About the job VP of Engineering
Our client is a rapidly growing fintech startup in the B2B payments space with a focus on serving banks and their customers. They have built the first virtual card platform of its kind, directly integrated with processors, networks, and the technology that supports banking across the industry. They offer several virtual card products including an app-as-a-service that banks can offer business customers with their existing credit cards, a suite of virtual card APIs for those looking to build custom payment solutions, and they also offer secure connectivity to key banking and payment services that enable 3rd-parties to integrate and embed payments into their software.
Founded in 2017 by 3 industry experts with experience at Fortune 500 companies, including American Express and Capital One, Extend is headquartered in Manhattan and has recently raised $40m in venture capital from top fintech investors. Extend was recently voted one of America's best startup employers by Forbes and best payments service platform by Tearsheet.
With extreme monthly growth and 80+ mission-driven employees, now is prime time to join our team!
ABOUT THE ROLE
They are seeking an engineering leader with a track record of building high performance engineering teams while retaining and improving upon the cultural elements that make Extend special. With a bias towards inclusivity and collaboration, the VP of Engineering will help guide the technology teams through immense growth. This will involve managing significant hiring initiatives, serving as a manager and mentor to engineering leads, co-creating and iterating on the product roadmap alongside key stakeholders, and leading cross-functionally to ensure go-to-market success from a technology perspective. It will be essential in this role to balance lessons learned from past experience with open-mindedness and humility, helping to foresee opportunities, threats, and inflection points (with both people and product) and plan accordingly to create a high performing and harmonious engineering team. They are looking for a candidate that can be on site at their NYC-based office three days a week.
At Extend, youll:
- Drive technical strategy, team design, and product delivery
- Drive operational excellence by establishing clear metrics and efficient lightweight processes
- Prioritize and balance short and long term engineering investments
- Build, onboard and up-skill top engineers and managers
- Create compelling personalized career paths for engineers on the team
- Partner with Product to develop our long term product strategy and roadmap
- Coordinate work across multiple engineering teams and other groups
- Expand on our collaborative, inclusive engineering culture
- Specifically, within the first three months: you will work to gain a clear understanding of the product roadmap, current product development challenges and opportunities, hiring strategies, and will have forged key relationships with engineering team members and cross-functional leaders.
Within three to six months, success will mean actively mentoring engineering managers/leads, identifying internal talent for career growth, and working with internal and external hiring partners to acquire new talent. While maintaining your grip on the day-to-day technical operations, you will also begin to identify opportunities, weaknesses, and inflection points for the business. You will have defined progress and quality metrics for the technical team and be able to report on those metrics to executive leadership.
- Experienced engineer (15+ years), who has graduated into a leadership role and managed engineering teams of 50+ people
- Knowledgeable about software architecture, agile development, QA, deployment, and security best practices while staying continuously curious
- Skilled in hiring, managing, and training top engineers in an high scale environment
- Experience coaching engineering managers and leads
- Ability to manage multiple teams and coordinate high velocity engineering efforts
- Deeply trustworthy and reliable
- Venerable leader who relates well to people and knows how to get the best out of each person on their team
- Exceptional at prioritizing and helping others focus on what matters most
- Clear communicator who is able to adjust delivery for your audience
- Big picture strategy-focused - when there are a lot of things to be done, you are able to keep the team driving toward the long-term outcomes
WHAT THEY OFFER
- Competitive compensation package
- Equity for allour success is your success
- Unlimited vacationand we want you to use it
- 401K matching
- Flexible work options
- Comprehensive health coverage for you and your family
- Maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Reimbursement for gym memberships
- $5K referral bonusbring your friends!
- Work with and learn from functional experts across disciplines